Monday, January 7, 2008

Orion Rising

I look forward to seeing Orion each Fall. The first night it rises lifts my spirits. My earliest childhood memories of looking up at the night sky contain the three stars of his belt. It is not an accident that seasons change, that temperatures drop and rain begins. We are meant to shift our focus as the year progresses. Fall leads to the introspection of winter and the quietness of cloud filled afternoons. Tonight, Orion is mid sky, commanding the center of the night, leading my thoughts to the new year and the chance to do "things" different this time. To think more carefully, listen with greater attention, walk more slowly, drive with care, hold onto the joy of living in the face of pain and sorrow. To move through to the other side of silence.

2 comments:

Patricia Graffius said...

I love the seasons as well!

Yes, there is new energy with every new season. There is new hope with every change!

"The pain to change must be greater than the pain to remain the same!" (JC Blue)

I was not aware that Orion is visible in the evening from November to early May and in the morning from late July to November. I'll have to keep a look out for the changes.

Blessings!

TheEpicBeat said...

Every year while gazing at the fall sky, for some odd reason, I whisper to myself "Hello, Old Friend." Honest.

Glad to see that someone else has meloncholy musings towards a collection of stars that are trillions of light years away from each other.